Group Get It Done!
These people are expecting a refund! They were not happy campers when the Feds released notice that no refunds would be out until after February 15th and in some cases February 27th. Group Get It Done typically files their taxes before the end of January and will even use their last check of the year to estimate their tax refund.
Group Aww Man!
These people know they have to pay the piper! They don't care when folks get refunds because they've collected all their money throughout the year and saved for the last few months of the prior year for their typical tax bill. Group Aww Man typically files their taxes right before the due date: this year Tuesday, April 18th.
This the way some of us handle prayer. We don't pray because we only see prayer as a taxing burden, the loathsome tithe of time or a debt owed. That's the Aww Man Prayer Group. Don't be in that group. The Get It Done Prayer Group looks forward to prayer because they don't see this as giving, it’s receiving. Just like both groups have to spend time filling tax forms; both groups of prayers need to spend time in prayer. But one group is happy about the outcome and other not so much.
Change your view on Prayer. Here's how, Keep to These 4 Tips:
Keep a Journal
Paul tells the Corinthians church he had prayed 3 times for God to remove his thorn. He kept track of his prayer requests and apparently knew when he had prayed too often for something and needed clarity on what exactly was the hold up with God. (2 Corinthians 12)
Be like Paul! Know about how long it takes to experience an answer from God for certain things. Keeping track will help you realize when you need to pray more in-depth about why you're not seeing an answer and keeping a prayer journal can help with that.
Keep it Organic
Prayer is a conversation. It's not an exercise of rote memorization of fancy sayings you heard some preacher say once and it just feels good to say it. Dave Ramsey once asked a caller, “How are you doing?” Her reply was, “Better than I deserve.” Now he says this in reply whenever he is asked how he’s doing. It’s snazzy…but disingenuous. Prayer should be transparent and personal, not gimmicky using plagiarized turns of phrase.
Prayer should be transparent and personal,
There are just better things to do with a tax refund.
- Fund your Roth IRA. Retirement is being financially independent in the best years of your life.
- Get a certification which moves you closer to career goals. Investing in you is sometimes essential to moving the needle on your success meter!
- Pre-pay for a vacay. Instead of putting the vacation on your credit card later this year.
- Catch up on monthly bills. Maybe you’ve been paying one month behind on your cell phone because its due on the 4th and you get paid mid-month. Now is the time to catch up. After catching up automate that thing.
- Spend a bit for fun. Guilt free spending is okay. When you’re creating your spending plan you should put some aside for fun
Husband, Dad, Writer, Ex-Pastor, Product Manager, & Nerd